3 Resources for Low Income Texans that Need Help Paying Mortgage Payments or Property Taxes
June is National Homeownership Month and is recognized for the impact homeownership has on people’s lives and local communities. In honor of this month, Johnson & Starr wants to remind Texans that there are various resources available for low-income Texans who need help paying their mortgage payments and property taxes. Keep reading to learn more about 3 resources for low-income Texans who need help paying these homeowner expenses.
1. Texas Homeowner Assistance Fund
If you are a homeowner who has experienced a material reduction in income or material increase in living expenses associated with the coronavirus after January 21, 2020, then the Texas Homeowner Assistance Fund could be a great resource for you. The program provides assistance that gives eligible homeowners grants to cover certain homeowner expenses for either past due or future payments.
The Texas Homeowner Assistance Fund has three different programs, including:
- Mortgage Program: Provides assistance to eligible Texas homeowners with paying past due mortgage payments and, in some cases, up to three (3) months of future payments, including eligible amounts advanced by a mortgage servicer. Maximum assistance of $65,000 per household.
- Property Charge Program: Provides assistance to eligible Texas homeowners to pay past due property taxes, property insurance and past due mortgage statement, property tax statement, insurance statement, and/or homeowner/condo association fees. The program provides up to the total program cap of $65,000 per eligible household.
- Utility Payment Program: Provides assistance to eligible Texas homeowners to pay past due utility bills and up to three (3) months of prospective payments. Of the maximum $65,000 available per household, up to $10,000 can be used for utility assistance (inclusive of past due balance and prospective assistance).
To learn more about the different programs, visit the Texas Homeowner Assistance Website here.
2. Texas Department of Housing and Community Affairs
The Texas Department of Housing and Community Affairs (TDHCA) is celebrating this month by closing financial gaps for low-income, aspirant homeowners by providing programs that help Texans with low to moderate income purchase a home. By using one of TDHCA’s federal or state-funded programs, you can make your dream of homeownership become a reality. Bobby Wilkinson, executive director of TDHCA stated, “With the Texas economy still experiencing continued growth, there are more folks seeking to make Texas their home. As the recognized state agency responsible for affordable housing, we can offer the opportunity for homebuyers to overcome some of the financial hurdles associated with the home buying experience.” So, if you are a Texan struggling to purchase a home on your own, check out the resources from TDHCA to find a program that could be the right fit for you.
3. Habitat for Humanity Homes
Habitat for Humanity believes that everyone should have a safe, affordable place to call home, which is why they offer the opportunity for low-income Texans to apply to be a Habitat homeowner. This gives Texans a chance to own their own home while paying an affordable mortgage that does not exceed 30% of their gross monthly income. When selected to be a Habitat homeowner, you will partner with Habitat for Humanity to perform sweat equity by helping to build your own home or the homes of others. This gives Texans who have a low to moderate income the home they deserve while giving back to the community.
Still Need Helping Paying Your Property Taxes?
If you are already a homeowner and need additional resources to pay off your property taxes, a property tax loan might be the right fit for you. Johnson & Starr provides property tax loans that can help low-income Texans pay off their property taxes at once and produce an affordable plan that works best for you. So, if you are struggling and need help paying your property taxes, do not hesitate to reach out. Contact us today to find out more about us and how we can assist you.